Bards & Co’s business and professional directory [Dartmouth, N.S.] 1900

DARTMOUTH, N.S., BUSINESS DIRECTORY

Acadia Roller Mills

Allen John, boots and shoes, Water

Allen J W, stationery, 70 Portland

Atkinson Geo, grocery, 62 Portland

Atlantic Mineral Water Co, Water

Atlantic Weekly, Water

Baker Wm, boarding, baiting and livery stable, 24 Ochterloney

Bell Isaac, dry goods, Portland

Bertram Stubbs O, photo, Portland

Bowes E M, painter, 96 Portland

Bowser B & A, flour, feed, etc, 151-3 Portland

Casey J A, grocery, Portland

Conrad Jabez, livery stable, 120 Portland, ‘phone 34

Conrod John, blacksmith and horseshoer, Portland

Conrod S M, meat market, 86 Portland

De Wolfe G C & Son, grocery, 33 Ochterloney

Dares F Q, grocery, prov, feed, etc, 80 Portland

Dares S B, hardware, lumber, painting, oils and glass, 217 Portland

Donovan Mrs E, grocery, 142 Portland

Douglas & Co, gin foundry

Earle George J, mer tailor, 45 Portland

Eisener A, victualler. Water, cor Queen

Forsyth Andrew, grocery, cor Water, and Church

Forsyth Bros, grocery, prov, etc. Water

Forsyth Jr, grocery and china. Water

Gay & McLean, painters and decorators, 143 Portland

Gentles T & Sons, grocery and baking, 63-71 Ochterloney

Graham J R, meat market, Portland, also Water

Greene John, watchmaker and jeweller, 59 Portland

Hutchinson A, mason and builder, 250 Ochterloney

Hutt A, blacksmith, Portland Laidlaw R, fruit, 90 Portland

Layers W G, boarding and livery stable, 35 Ochterloney

Leslie J G, grocery, 190 Portland

Lloy Alexander, grocery and produce, 176-78 Portland

McCarthy Owen, dry goods and millinery, 74 Portland

McHanna Peter, undertaker and casket mnfr, Wilson

McNab Colin & Co, grocery, fruit and feed, Portland cor Prince

McNabb J A, dry goods, 132 Portland

Maclean J B, grocery, feed, etc, 67 Portland

Misener G A, estate of Fenwick G Misener, prop, undertaker, Portland

Misener & Merson, carpenters, Portland

Moseley W P & Co, grocery, 92 Water

Ormon G A, fine groceries, flour, fruit, teas, etc, Portland, cor King

Pereril, C E, yictualer. Water

Power J & Co, carriage and express builder, repairing and blacksmithing, 115-19 Portland

Richards G, livery, Portland

Ritchie John, plumber, tinner, stoves, etc, 180 Portland

Russell N & Co, stoves and tinware, 179 Portland

Sellers H W, boots and shoes, 92 Portland

Settle H H, horse shoer and general blacksmith, Portland

Simmonds Jas & Co, hardware, Water

Simpson S, harness, Portland

Smith W McV, harness, 95 Portland

Starr Mfg Co The Ltd, mnfr of skates, ry and ship spikes, bolts, nuts, washers, electroplating, canners’ dies, gen machine works, etc, Dartmouth

Sterns G A, druggist, 48 Ochterloney

Stevens W H, drugs, 87 Portland

Sutherland Bros, grocery, Portland

Thomson Samuel, grocery, 22-24 Portland

Tuttle W L, boots and shoes, 56 Portland

Union Bank Of Halifax, F O Robertson, mgr, 42 Water

Walker E M, grocery, 52 Ochterloney

Walker H C & Co, men’s furnishings, hats, caps, etc, 46 Portland

Walker H C, grocery and furniture, 51 Portland

Wamboldt R L, fish market. Water

Warner E, coal and wood, Ferry wharf

Wisdom A, dry goods, Portland

Bards & Co. “Bards & Co’s business and professional directory: of Halifax, Amherst, Charlottetown, Dartmouth, Chatham, Fredericton, Kentville, Moncton, New Glasgow, Sydney, N. Sydney, Pictou, Quebec, St. John, St. Stephen, Summerside, Yarmouth, Woodstock, Truro, Windsor, etc. : embracing a list of all business and professional men in the cities above named for the year 1900” New York; Toronto : Bards & Co. https://archive.org/details/cihm_08249

Christ Church, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, 1817 to 1959


“The Corner-Stone of a Church to be erected by subscription of the inhabitants of Dartmouth and Halifax, aided by a donation from His Excellency Sir John C. Sherbrook, was laid at two o’clock this day, by His Excellency the Earl of Dalhousie, who has also been a liberal subscriber to the undertaking, in the presence, and under the auspices of the Right Reverend the Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia, Rear Admiral Sir David Milne, K. C. B., The Hon. Commissioner Wodehouse, the Rev. Dr. Inglis and many other respectable parishioners”……NOVA SCOTIA GAZETTE, Halifax, 9th July, 1817.

Thus runs the brief official description of an event that marked the initial step in the establishment of an institution that for the past one hundred and forty-two years has been a centre of worship, inspiration and spiritual uplift for the Anglican people of Dartmouth, and also a landmark in the town. Extremely well situated with abundant room for church and complementary buildings, Christ Church, Dartmouth, stands today a memorial to the foresight of the founders of the parish. Time has proved the wisdom displayed by them in the selection of this building site, which was secured by a government grant.

The town of Dartmouth had at that time little more than fifty families and the parish in 1817 covered an area extending from Halifax Harbour east to Chezzetcook, from Eastern Passage to Bedford, and a visit by the rector to many parts of the parish meant long horse-back rides over paths and trails through virgin forest. When Christ Church was erected it was the only church in the town, but not in the area as, nearly thirty years earlier an Anglican church had been built at Preston, about seven miles from the town. On October 3rd, 1791 Bishop Charles Inglis writing to the Archbishop of Canterbury, reported that he had “consecrated churches at Granville, Annapolis, Digby and Preston.

Although no building had been available for church services in the district prior to the erection. of the church at Preston, nevertheless, through the efforts of the rector of St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, N. S. services had been conducted in this area. Dr. R. V. Harris in his book “The Church of St. Paul in Halifax, N. S.” wrote as follows:


“The first church services in Dartmouth were conducted by Mr. Tutty in the fall of 1750. In his letter to the Society, October 29th, he writes:” In a fortnight hence I must officiate there, in the open air.”

In the following July he again writes the Society and refers to a raid, made by Indians on the new settlement on May 13, 1751, adding “Till that time I used constantly to preach there in the afternoon.” After referring to the steps taken to palisade the town, he continues, “When this happens I shall renew my former practice and dedicate the afternoon to their service in spiritual things.”

In November he reports having “once more administered the Holy Communion to the newcomers who were engaged in palisading Dartmouth.”

St. Paul’s seems to have maintained these occasional services until the territory of Dartmouth, Preston and Cole Harbour was set apart in 1792 as a separate parish.”

The Mr. Tutty referred to in the above quotation was the Rev. William Tutty who had come out with Lord Cornwallis as a missionary when the city of Halifax was founded in 1749. He was the first clergyman to hold services in St. Paul’s when as rector he officiated at the opening of that church on September 2, 1750.

“The Society” to which Mr. Tutty reported was the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. This organization, operating in England, supplied and paid the missionaries and other clergy who ministered to the early settlers for many years after the Church of England became active in Nova Scotia.

The Preston church was erected on a high hill about three quarters of a mile to the north of the present St. John’s Church, and was supposed, at that time, to be situated in the center of the parish. The first clergyman appointed to the parish of Preston was the Rev. Joshua Wingate Weeks who commenced work there in September 1792. He remain. ed in charge until December 1795.

On November 3rd, 1792, Bishop Charles Inglis requested the Governor, Sir John Wentworth, to erect Preston, Dartmouth, and “Lawrence Town” into one parish by the name of St. John’s, Preston. This request was laid before the Council and granted. In writing to the Society for the Propagation the Gospel on May 1st, 1794, Mr. Weeks thus described his parish “The mission consists of four towns, Dartmouth is the principal which consists of fifty families; Preston has fifteen; Cole Harbour 12, and Lawrence 23.”

While in charge of the parish of St. John, Mr. Weeks lived in Halifax. Following his resignation in 1795, he was succeeced by the Rev. Benjamin Gerrish Gray, who was born in Boston and came with his father to Halifax in 1776. After his ordination to the priesthood he was appointed King’s Chaplain to the Maroons, who played an important role in the history of Nova Scotia from 1796 until 1799. The story of their coming, their stay in the Halifax-Dartmouth area and their departure for Sierra Leone in Africa, has been told in numerous records and historical accounts. Mr. Gray was recommended for the position of Missionary of the parish of St. John, to which he was inducted in 1795 and where he served until 1799, when he became garrison chaplain. His appointment to the parish of Sackville was made in 1806. He was afterward rector of St. George’s, Halifax, from 1819 to 1823 and was appointed rector of Trinity Church, St. John, N. B. in 1825, serving until 1849. It was in 1825 that the Rev. Mr. Gray, under Bishop’s mandate, inducted into the parish of St. Pauls’s, Halifax, the Rev. Robert Willis in a service that was held outside the locked doors of the church. The reason for this absurd situation was the extreme dissatisfaction and antagonism of the wardens and some of the parishioners over the appointment.

For some years after Mr. Gray’s departure from Preston, the church was served by clergy from St. Paul’s and during this time the people of Dart- had to go to Preston or cross the harbour to Halifax to attend church services. This inconvenience brought about the decision to build a church in the town and a definite move was made when land was procured and the erection of Christ Church began. The Rev. Charles Ingles was appointed rector in 1817, and according to S. P. G. reports the Church was opened for service in May 1818.

The original plans of the church show it to have been a simple oblong structure. (The present transepts and chancel were added later.) There were square pews against the wall on each side and a double set of oblong pews down the center of the building. An entry in the first minute book of the parish and vestry meetings records the first Easter meeting as follows-
Dartmouth, April 12th, 1819

“At a meeting of the Parishioners of Christ Church at Dartmouth on this day for the appointment of Parish Officers and other pur- poses according to the Law of the Province, the following persons were chosen, viz,
Samuel Albro, Esq., H. William Scott, Esq., Church Wardens.
James Creighton, Alex McMinn, Daniel Eaton, George Francis, John Reeves, John Stew- art, John Prescott, Alex Farquharson, Stephen Collins, Joseph Findlay, John Tapper, John Hawthorn-Vestrymen.”

It was further decided at that time “to appoint Edward Warren (whose vocation was publican) Clerk and Sexton, at a salary of ten pounds annually.” At an adjourned meeting in April the same year, it was decided to allow the Rector thirty pounds for house rent. This was in addition to his salary of 200 pounds a year from the S. P. G. and surplice fees. Later it was further resolved:

“That the fee simple of each pew be sold by public auction subject at every transfer to be offered to the Church Wardens at the last price given for said pew whether purchased from the Church or individuals; liable to a yearly rent paid quarterly to be hereafter fixed upon and Resolved “That the Church Wardens have the right of making use for the benefit of the public, any pew shut up by the proprietor without sufficient reason assigned and
Resolved “That all arrears of pew rent at the end of the year shall make the pew liable to forfeiture at the discretion of the Church Wardens”.

In June 1819, the Rector and Wardens successfully petitioned the Governor, the Earl of Dalhousie, to have the grant of the land on which they had built the Church, made out and completed. Meanwhile some history that has often repeated itself in this and other parishes was being written. At a meeting of the Vestry held on April 9th, 1821, it was resolved “That a subscription should be set afoot for the purpose of raising a sum to pay the debts of the church, and that it is advisable to receive such subscriptions in quarterly payments, the whole to be paid within the twelve month in order to accommodate those not possessing immediate means”.

Also a petition was made to His Excellency, Sir John Kempt, Governor of Nova Scotia – “For some assistance in relieving the church from the debt under which it is now embarrassed.” Meanwhile the ever present legally-minded parishioners had raised a neat question as to the legality of former proceedings on the ground that Christ Church, Dartmouth, was, in reality, only a chapel-of-ease to the Parish Church of St. John’s Preston. Accordingly it was decided that His Excellency, the Governor be petitioned to divide this parish from the Parish of St. John, which was eventually done.
The Rev. Mr. Ingles, during his stay in the Parish, lived at Brook House, near, what is now, the Woodlawn United Church. Stories of this house and it’s former tenants make up another interesting portion of the history of Dartmouth.

During the year of 1824, William Walker, school master in the town succeeded Edward Warren as Parish Clerk. In 1825, the Rev. Mr. Ingles was appointed to the important and historic parish of St. George’s, Sydney, N. S. the mother church of the Island of Cape Breton.

After the departure of Mr. Ingles in 1825, until the coming of the Rev. Edward Lewis Benwell as rector in 1826, the parish was without a resident clergyman. Amongst the clergy who officiated from time to time were the Rev. B. G. Gray then rector of St. George’s, Halifax, the Rev. R. F. Uniacke, the Rev. C. B. Rosenburg, Chaplain to His Majesty’s Ship “Jupiter”, the Rev. James J. Jackson, Ven. Archdeacon A. G. Spencer, later bishop of Newfoundland 1839-43 and Jamaica 1843-72, the Rev. Robert Willis, rector of St. Paul’s, Halifax, and the Rev. W. W. Walker.

While the parish was without a rector, the important ceremony of the consecration of Christ Church took place. This event marking as it did, the two facts, that the church had all the necessary appointments for the ministration of Divine Service according to the use of the Church of England, and that it was free from debt, must have been of the deepest interest to the parishioners.

The old Minute Book gives in full, the petition and deed of consecration as follows:

Consecration of the Church by the Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia

“To the Honorable and Right Reverend Father in God, the Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia – The Petition of the Archdeacon of the Diocese, Church Wardens and Vestry of Christ Church in the parish of Preston in the Archdeaconry of Nova Scotia,

Humbly Sheweth,

That a new Church hath been erected in the said parish for the worship of Almighty God according to the rites and ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland, but that no opportunity hath yet occurred for having the said Church set apart forever from all profane uses and solemnly consecrated and dedicated to the service and worship of Almighty God.

Your petitioners therefore humbly represent that the said church is now ready for consecration and pray that your Lordship will be pleas- ed to consecrate it accordingly.

(Signed) JOHN D. HAWTHORNE
EDWARD H. LOWE Church Wardens

A portion of the reply from the Right Reverend John Inglis, Bishop of Nova Scotia, reads as follows:

“Now we by Divine Permission, Bishop of Nova Scotia and its dependencies, do, by virture of the authority to us committed, separate the said Church or Chapel from all profane and common uses and do dedicate the same to Al- mighty God and divine worship by the name of Christ at Dartmouth and consecrate it for the celebration and performance of Divine service, and do, openly and publickly, pronounce decree and declare that the same ought to remain so separated, dedicated and consecrated forever by this our definitive sentence or final decree which we read and promulge by these presents.

(Signed) JOHN NOVA SCOTIA
August 20th, 1826.

Shortly after the consecration ceremony the Rev. E. L. Benwell was appointed rector. He was an Englishman, sent out by the S. P. G.

The manner of taking up the collection in church evidently caused some concern. At first it was taken up in a box placed on the end of a long stick and carried from pew to pew. As this was not looked upon with favour, it was decided to place a plate by the door with a vestryman in attendance. This change apparently did not prove satisfactory as they soon went back to the former method. The bell was presented to the church in 1826 by the Honorable Michael Wallace, a leading parishioner, who was engaged in various business enterprises in the area as well as being active in Government circles.

Meanwhile a parsonage had been erected near First Lake for the use of the Rector (this building, thought later to be too far from the Church, was sold to Colonel Robert B. Sinclair.) About the same time the first church in Preston was torn down and rebuilt on a site about one quarter mile to the east- ward of Maroon Hill which was, at that time, much nearer to the homes of the people. A legend tells that when the monks of Winchester, England, decided to remove the body of St. Swithun from the grave under the eaves of the church where he had expressly desired to be buried, to a specially prepared tomb, within the cathedral, it rained for forty days and the attempt, for a time, had to be abandoned. This legend has a counterpart in Preston where the story is told that whenever attempts were made to remove parts of the old church, rain fell, but those concerned with the removal disregarded all protests of the elements as well as some members of the congregation and proceeded with the job.

The second church at Preston has been described as follows-
“The church was very rough and without ornament or even comfort. The narrow chancel with its plain wooden table rarely, if ever, used for Holy Communion, would have suited the most primitive conception of taste. Highly realistic in one point alone was the order of the sittings. The men sat on one side and the women on the other; precedent and good manners alike forbidding any infringement of this rule during Divine Service.”

The new church with burial ground adjoining was consecrated at the Feast of Epiphany, 1826 by Bishop of Nova Scotia on petition from the wardens and vestry of Christ Church, Dartmouth, which was considered to be the Parish Church and the church at Preston was regarded as the Chapel of St. John.

Bayer, Charles Walter, “Christ Church, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, 1817 to 1959” [Dartmouth, N.S. : Christ Church] 1960. https://archive.org/details/christchurchdart0000baye

Railroad Veteran Dies In Dartmouth

Herbert Greenough. Railroad veteran, who had 44 years of service to his credit, who died at his home, Silver’s Road, Dartmouth. He was also well known for his writings for the press.

Halifax Mail, Wednesday, December 23, 1931. https://www.newspapers.com/image/776903662/?clipping_id=146653432&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjc3NjkwMzY2MiwiaWF0IjoxNzE1MDk1MzU5LCJleHAiOjE3MTUxODE3NTl9.zXkhXUPvgjVZBeSsstRjuHC8GiLUWD4fW6o56sIZSh8

McAlpine’s Halifax City Directories, 1900 – 1901

Boat Builders
  • Debay, John, Dartmouth
  • Devan, James. Dartmouth
  • Mader, .Joshua, Dartmouth
  • Moseley, Eben, Dartmouth
  • Moseley, Henry, Moseley’s wharf, Dart
  • Williams, Edward, Dartmouth
Builders and Contractors
  • Webber, J A, Dartmouth
Electro Platers
  • Starr Manufacturing Co., Dartmouth
Fancy Goods
  • Stevens, W H, Dartmouth
Flour Dealers
  • Acadia Roller Mills, Dartmouth
Gents’ Furnishings
  • Sterns, L & Son, Dartmouth
Furnaces and Ranges
  • Hitchie, ,J. &, Co, 180 Portland, Dart
  • Russell, N & Son, Dartmouth
Grocers and Retailers
  • McNab, Colin, Dartmouth
  • Moseley, W. P. and Co, Dartmouth
  • Walker, E M Dartmouth
Hay and Feed Dealers
  • McNab, Colin, Dartmouth
Ice Dealers
  • Carter, Job, Dartmouth
  • Chittick, & Sons, Dartmouth
  • Hutchinson, A Dartmouth
  • Hunt, John A, Dartmouth
  • Otto, P J, Dartmouth
  • Whitely, Jas. Dartmouth
Iron Founders
  • Dartmouth Iron Foundry. Dartmouth
  • Douglas &. Co, Dartmouth
Kitchen Utensils
  • Russell, N & Co Dartmouth
Livery and Boarding and Hack Stables
  • Greene, Mrs Wm H, Dartmouth
  • Lavers, W G, 37 Ochterloney, Dart
Machinists
  • Starr, Manfg Co., Dartmouth.
Machinists Supplies
  • Starr, Manfg Co., Dartmouth.
Milkmen
  • Lydiard, Samuel. Dartmouth
Millers
  • Crawthorne’s Mill, Dartmouth
  • Matheson, R. J., Dartmouth [road].
Milliners
  • Stearns, L. and Son, Dartmouth
Mineral Waters
  • Atlantic Mineral Water Works, Dartmouth
Mining and Mill Supplies
  • Starr Mfg Co., Dartmouth.
Nail and Tack Manufacturers
  • Starr Mfg. Co. Ltd., Dartmouth.
Newspapers
  • Atlantic Weekly, Water, Dartmouth
Oils and Paints
  • Dominion Paint Co. Dartmouth
Paint & Putty Manufacturers
  • Dominion Paint Works. Dartmouth
Produce and Provision Dealers
  • Graham, .John R. Dartmouth
Railway & Engineer Supplies
  • Starr Mfg. Co. Ltd., Dartmouth.
Railway Spikes
  • Starr Mfg. Co. Ltd., Dartmouth.
Rolling Mill
  • Dartmouth Rolling Mill Co, Dartmouth
Ship Builders
  • Moseley, Henry. Dartmouth
  • Young, J & G. Dartmouth
Silver and Gold Works
  • Starr Mfg. Co. Ltd., Dartmouth.
Skate Manufacturers
  • Starr Mfg. Co. Ltd., Dartmouth.
Soda Water Manufacturers
  • Atlantic Mineral Water Works, Dartmouth
Stoves & Ranges
  • Russell, N & Son. Dartmouth
Sugar Refineries
  • Nova Scotia Sugar Refinery, Ltd., Office Hollis at Duke; refineries Halifax and Dartmouth
Tinsmiths, Plumbers and Gasfitters
  • Ritchie, J & Co, Dartmouth
  • Russell, N & Co, Dartmouth
Undertakers
  • Dartmouth Undertaking Co, Dartmouth
Variety
  • Graham, John R. Dartmouth
Wood and Coal Dealers
  • Warner, Edward. Dartmouth

Town of Dartmouth

Dartmouth Directory

McAlpine’s Halifax City Directories, 1900 – 1901. https://archives.novascotia.ca/pdf/mcalpine/1900-1901-McAlpine-Halifax.pdf

Died at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

We clip the following obituary notice from the Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Patriot, as it will be of interest to many Red Deer residents who were acquainted with the deceased lady.

There passed away, on the 19th inst., an old and highly esteemed resident in the person of Mrs. Gaetz, widow of the late James Gaetz. Deceased, who was a Miss Ritzey, was born in LaHave seventy-nine years ago, and her early married life was spent in Musquodobit, from where she and her husband came to Dartmouth about forty-five years ago.

By her gentle and kindly disposition she made and held many warm friends, who will learn with regret of her death. She was active up until five months ago, when failing health necessitated her closing her house on Myrtle Street and removing to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hugh Ross. For the last five weeks she suffered intensely, yet to the end exemplified rare patience, and knew those of the family who gathered around her.

The sympathy of many friends is extended to her family of three sons and four daughters: Howard L. and Judson of Dartmouth; Freeman, messenger of the Bank of Nova Scotia, who resides in Halifax; Mrs. High Ross and Mrs. Henry Oland of this town; Mrs. George W. Brush of Halifax; and Mrs. A. E. Keast of Innisfail, Alta. Mrs. Gaetz also leaves seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral took place on Tuesday the 22nd, the services being conducted by Rev. Wm. Phillips of the Methodist Church, pastor of the deceased, and Rev. F. E. Bishop, pastor of the Baptist church, in which communion with her husband had for many years been a devoted deacon.

The casket contained a large number of floral offerings. The body was laid to rest beside that of her husband who predeceased her four years and five months ago.

“To rest forever after early strife. In the calm light of everlasting life.”

Red Deer News. June 4th, 1913. “Died at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia”. Page 1, Colum 4. https://archive.org/details/RDM_1913060401

Profile: Halifax-Dartmouth – The Political And Administrative Structures of the Metropolitan Region of Halifax-Dartmouth

The City of Dartmouth: General information

1.1 Historical background

Dartmouth was settled in 1750 as an extension of Halifax’s military and commercial operation. Being part of the County of Halifax, it was administered by a sheriff and a grand jury under the Court of Quarter Sessions until 1873. The City of Halifax was the first local entity to fight for its autonomy (granted in 1841 by its Charter) and Dartmouth followed the movement and became in 1873 the second local entity to be self-governed. Its town statute remained until 1961 when Dartmouth became a City with its own Charter.

1.2 Population
  • 1966 – 58,745
  • 1971 – 64,770
1.3 Area in acres

15,800 acres (estimated). (See Figure 4).

1.4 Provincial Act regulating the City

Legislative Assembly has adopted a revised charter for the City of Dartmouth; Statutes of Nova Scotia 1970, Chapter 89, Dartmouth City Charter.

1.5 Relationships with other municipalities

There is no regional government as such. Joint commissions and authorities have been created for special purposes and some services are shared on a contract basis.

2 Political structures

2.1 General form

The City has a Council-Manager form of government. (See Table 3 for a list of the members of the Council).

2.2 Eligibility regulations

2.2.1 Universal suffrage for Canadians and British subjects of 19 years or more who were resident since the 1st of May of election year (no property requirements). In addition non-residents who are assessed in respect of real property within any polling district to the value of $300. and over are eligible.

2.2.2 Any Canadian citizen, resident of the City for one year preceding election day, of at least 21 years of age and whose name appears upon the assessment role of the City is eligible to run, for office.

Disqualification includes indebtedness to the City, employment with the City, contracts with the City, membership in the House of Commons or Senate of Canada.

2.2.3 Procedures for election Elections are held the third Saturday of October through a ward system, 14 Aldermen being elected in 7 wards, 2 in each ward. The Mayor is elected at large.

During the first year, 7 Aldermen and the Mayor are elected, the other 7 Aldermen being elected during the second year. The third year is left without election.

Table 3 List of officials of the City of Dartmouth

City Council

  • Mayor – Mrs. Eileen Stubbs
  • Deputy Mayor – John MacCormac

Aldermen

  • Ward 1: John Kavanaugh, George Ibsen
  • Ward 2: Ronald M. Smith, L. W. Granfield
  • Ward 3: Thomas B. Davis, Hart Day
  • Ward 4: Donald McDonah, Louis Cote
  • Ward 5: J. D. C. MacCormac, Chester Sanford
  • Ward 6: Donald K. Walkey
  • Ward 7: C. D. Richie, Lauchlan Fredericks

Administration

  • City Administrator: C. A. Moir
  • Clerk and Treasurer: N. C. Cohoon
  • Assessor: W. J. Symonds
  • Purchasing officer: W. M. Whitman
  • Chief Engineer: B . J. Fougere
  • Planning and Development: D. A. Bayer
  • Recreation: D. A. Lynch
  • Welfare Services: – W. M. MacNeil
  • Police Department: R. Smith
  • Fire Department: C. Findlay
  • Industrial Promotion officer: vacant (November 1973)

The Aldermen are elected for a term of three years, without any limitation on the number of terms. The office is regarded as a part-time appointment.

In 1970, actual votes were 9,445 for 30,364 registered voters, a tun out of 31%.

A referendum can be held on matters decided by the Council; procedure and forms applicable for election of Mayor and Aldermen shall be used in such a case. Specific by-laws regulating referendum procedures shall be approved by the Minister of Municipal Affairs. There has been no such recourse in the last years.

Political Party

There is no form of political party at municipal level in Dartmouth.

2.3 The Council

2.3.1 Members The Council is formed of 14 Aldermen and the Mayor, with the Mayor presiding with a casting vote only.

2.3.2 Meetings The Council holds meetings the lst Tuesday of every month and, if necessary, the 3rd Tuesday of every month.

2.3.3 Powers of the Council

Council carries out its functions through adoption of regulations or by-laws. Specific procedure is established for adoption of bylaws: 3 distinct and separate readings before it is finally passed and not more than two readings shall be had at one meeting of the Council (section 126).

Charter gives powers to the City to achieve specific functions (Sections 135 to 182).

  • determination of land use and establishment of regulations in regard to land use: planning, zoning, building construction;
  • undertaking of works to organize land use: streets, water supply and sewer, housing;
  • operation of services for the Community: transportation, police, fire, health and welfare, education and recreation.

Charter gives to the City powers to establish mechanisms to achieve above mentioned specific functions:

  • Administration (section 183-217)
  • Taxation and finance (section 218-291)
  • Assessment (section 292-323)
  • Boards and Commissions (section 324-341)
  • Liens and tax collection (section 342-378)
  • City Court (section 379-400)
  • Legal proceeding (section 401-447)
  • “In addition to powers specifically allotted to it, the Council has the power to do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the exercise of the allotted powers”. (Section 138).

2.3.4. Control of Council’s decisions

No additional approval is needed for a by-law duly adopted by the Council, exception existing for powers conducted by by-laws under A7 sections of the Charter which require approval of the Minister of Municipal Affairs.

Main powers affected by this disposition are the re-definition of ward boundaries, Aldermen and Mayor’s duties, referendum procedure, housing and development schemes, establishment of Boards and Commissions, technical planning board and development officers, building by-laws and most of the by-laws regarding taxes and assessment.

(List of these exceptions are given in Schedule, Part III, P. 280, Dartmouth City Charter).

2.4 The Committees

The Council has recently decreased the number of Committees to two: Committee on Planning Development and Operations Members: 7 members from different wards. Meetings: 4th Tuesday of every month. Powers: Committee is advisory to Council on policy matters and specific subjects referred to the Committee by the Council. Committee on Finance and Social Services Members: 7 members from different wards and who are not members of Committee on Planning. Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of every month. Powers: Committee is advisory to Council on policy matters and specific subjects referred to the Committee by the Council.

2.5 The Mayor

Term of office: The Mayor is elected for three years, without any limitation on the number of terms. The office is regarded as a part-time appointment. Election and mandate: see point 2.2.2 eligibility and 2.2.3 election procedure.

Powers of the Mayor: The Mayor is the chief officer of the City. He presides over the meetings of the Council and of the Committees with only a casting vote.

3 Administrative structures

3.1 General

Dartmouth has a City Manager system.

(See Figure 5 City of Dartmouth Organization chart).

3.2 Staff

Approximately 700 full-time employees (excluding the teachers but including employees of the special authorities and wage-earners employed with various departments of the City).

3.3 Departments

The City created 9 departments, 3 for internal administration, 4 for City services and the departments of fire and police. (See By-law C-7. 1962). Every department has a director appointed by the Council who is responsible for the good administration of the department to the Council through the City administrator. In addition, the Council created, and placed directly under its authority, an industrial promotion officer. (By-law No. 96, 1966)

3.3.1 Recreation department Duties: The department has a mandate to organize recreation activities and to provide the necessary equipment. Organization and Staff: 9 employees in 3 divisions

  • Parks and playgrounds
  • Recreational activities
  • Special programs.
City of Dartmouth Political & Administrative Organization Chart

Budget (1973 estimates): $659,900.

3.3.2 Social Services department Duties: The department has a mandate to administer welfare payments and to establish community services with the objective of social development. Organization and Staff: 19 employees in 3 divisions

  • Community Residence (3 employees)
  • Special Programs (1 employee)
  • General Assistance (9 employees). Budget (1973 estimates): $2,239,700″ including $1,537,900 for welfare payments.

3.3.3 Engineering department Duties: The department fulfills 3 broad mandates – engineering design, survey control, and supervision of projects of the works division, or capital projects conducted by other departments; – regular public works (street, drainage and sanitary sewage systems, garage and public buildings) ; – maintenance and operation of water system. Organization and Staff: 162 employees in 3 divisions – Engineering (40 employees) – Works (80 employees) – Water Utility (35 employees). Budget (1973 estimates): $2,183,000 for Engineering and Works divisions. Water Utility division operates independently covering expenditures with revenue from sale of water. Actual expenditures for the Water Utility Division for year 1972 were $1,836,679, the accumulated deficit being $1,809,014.

3.3.4 Planning and Development Department Duties: The department has a mandate to prepare a master plan for the City (as dictated in the Planning Act), to prepare zoning and subdivisions regulations and to assume building inspection in accordance with City regulations. Organization and Staff: 11 employees in 3 divisions

  • Planning (1 employee)
  • Development (8 employees)
  • Building inspector (3 employees). These are formal divisions. The director of the department is actually head of Planning division. There also exist close working relations between Planning and Development divisions.

Budget (1973 estimates): $117,600.

3.3.5 Internal administration departments – City Clerk and Treasurer (25 employees with a budget estimate for 1973 of $389,400 including the expenditures for the City administrator’s office).

  • Assessment department (6 employees Budget 1973 estimates: $71,000).
  • Purchasing officer (5 employees Budget 1973 estimates: $40,900).

3.3.6 Other departments

  • Police department (100 employees Budget 1973 estimates: $1,215,000).
  • Fire department (104 employees Budget 1973 estimates: $1,626,700).

(See Table 4 for Dartmouth City Budget).

  • Industrial promotion and public relations officer. Duties: The officer has a mandate to collect statistics and information relative to industrial and tourist promotion and provide this information to manufacturers and others and organize publicity for tourists.

Table 4 City of Dartmouth 1972-73 estimates

As public relation officer, he shall provide liaison between the City and organizations having civic interests, the news media and the general public.

Staff: 1 employee. The position is vacant at the present time.

3.4 Administrative superstructure

The City Administrative Officer is called “City Administrator”, and is appointed by the Council.

He acts as chief administrative officer, director of personnel and labour relations coordinator between departments through an informal management committee held once a week (each Tuesday morning) regrouping all heads of departments. Agenda is prepared by the City administrator; officer responsible for relations between administrative and political levels. There is no direct contact between Committees of the Council and corresponding departments; coordinator between special authorities and City departments.

4 Special authorities

4.1 The School Board

Duties: As specified in the Education Act and sections 324 to 341 of the City Charter, to control and manage the public schools of the City.

Functioning: The Board of Commissioners is composed of 15 persons, 9 from the Council of Dartmouth and 6 appointed by Governor-in-Council of N.S. They meet once a month.

The Board has 122 employees (administrative and support) and 961 teachers.

The Council has approved a budget of $11,757,400 for year 1973. From an administrative view point the functioning of the School Board is closely related to the administrative process of the City.

  • through the Board of Commissioners: 9 out of 15 members being members of the Council;
  • through personnel administration: labour relation and wage policy established and managed at the office of City administrator;
  • through financial administration: city clerk and treasurer and budget officer are responsible for budget operations of the School Board. Budget shall be approved by the Council;
  • through support services: engineering department provides an ad hoc basis technical support to the School Board.
4.2 Ferry service

Duties: To operate a ferry service for pedestrians between Dartmouth and Halifax Harbour.

Functioning: The Ferry service is directly administered by the Council (there is no Board). The service has 19 employees and had expenditures of $310,655 for the year 1972. The City gives no subsidy to the service, all operation expenses being covered by fare revenues. The bus transit company is privately owned in Dartmouth and receives no subsidy from the City.

4.3 Dartmouth Industrial Commission

Duties: The Commission has been created by by-law to organize industrial promotion and recommend industrial policy to the City Council. Functioning: The Commission is composed of 11 members (the Mayor, 5 Aldermen and 5 citizens chosen by the Council). The Council has approved budget estimates of $34,000 for the year 1973. The Burnside industrial park is directly administered by the Council with recommendation from the Industrial Commission.

4.4 Joint Commissions

4.4.1 Mayor represents the City on the Board of: – Halifax Dartmouth Regional Authority (see part 1-A, pt.4.4.1) – Halifax Dartmouth Bridge Commission (see part 2-B, point 2.1) – Halifax Dartmouth Port Commission (see part 2-A, point 2.2.1)

  • Metropolitan Area Planning Commission (part 2-A, point 2.1.1)

4.4.2 Other Joint Commissions – Regional Social Planning Council.

(1973 estimates: $5,400).

4.5 Other special authorities
  • Dartmouth Emergency Hospital. Budget (1973 estimates): $426,000 which the City shares for an amount of $29,000.
  • Court: Budget (1973 estimates): $58,500.
  • Tourist Commission (1973 estimates): $14,300
  • Dartmouth Park Commission (1973 estimates) : $14,000.
  • Heritage Museum Board (1973 estimates): $32,800.
  • Regional Library Board (1973 estimates) : $212,000

Halifax County:

In 1759, the province was divided into five Counties, including the County of Halifax which included the townships of Halifax and Dartmouth. For local purposes, it was administered under the Court of Quarter Session system by a sheriff. After the incorporation of Halifax (1841) and Dartmouth (1873), which made those cities geographically but not politically part of the County, the House of Assembly adopted the County incorporation Act in 1879. The Municipality of the County of Halifax was incorporated under this Act in 1880.


In the City of Dartmouth, the department of Engineering is responsible for street design and construction and for the operation of traffic control equipment. The Dartmouth Transit Company is privately owned but works in consultation with City officers in the determination of routes and the level of service. In addition, the City of Dartmouth owns a ferry service for pedestrians only between Halifax and Dartmouth.

“Profile: Halifax-Dartmouth – The Political And Administrative Structures of the Metropolitan Region of Halifax-Dartmouth”, Bernard, André. Ottawa : [Ministry of State, Urban Affairs, Canada]. 1974. https://archive.org/details/39082108060321

Dartmouth Nail Manufactory

The subscriber having established a Cut Nail Manufactory (on the) road leading from Dartmouth to Preston, about two miles from Skerry’s Ferry, manufactures cut nails of all descriptions of Iron and copper warranted equal in quality to any imported from Great Britain and the United States. As the proprietor for hammers at considerable expense for the machinery all of which happen to be made in this (?) (?) his immediate direction, he humbly hopes for encouragements from a (?) public Nails of all sizes from 3d. (?) can be had wholesale or retail, at reduced prices, at the store of John Albro (?) Hollis Street, Halifax. Thomas Moran. Sept 7.

Acadian Recorder, 10 January 1835. Page 4, Column 6. https://archives.novascotia.ca/newspapers/archives/?ID=1889&Page=201117608

Page 1 of 40
1 2 3 4 40