There’s a few Dartmouth references included here: (187) L. Sterns & Son, dry goods, carpets, floor oil cloths, etc., Water St., Dartmouth, (205) Hospital for Insane, Dartmouth (206) Dartmouth Town Hall, (207) Exhibition building, Dartmouth, (218) Public School, Dartmouth
No hint of a beltway or a rotary here, but several subdivision plans for the Woodlawn and Westphal sections, Crichton Park (now “Mic Mac Village”), as well as Manor Park. Shearwater Airport clearly played a more important role at this point as a “city” airport, connected by Airport Road running along the west side of Morris Lake from Cole Harbor Road. “Breakheart hill” is noted along with a number of communities including Shearwater, Imperoyal, Woodside, Woodlawn, Westphal, Port Wallis, Albro Lake and Tufts Cove.
Some bold claims also included with this map, the facts about Canada section asserts “Canada has complete self-government and independence”.
A city of many faces, is best known for its lakes – 23 of them.
Dartmouth was incorporated as a town back in 1873 — and until 1961 was the oldest incorporated town in Nova Scotia and, for a time, the largest in Canada.
Today DARTMOUTH is Canada’s newest city – a community which is noted for its vision and aggressiveness – a sparkplug for Nova Scotia’s resurgence in this decade.
Now wearing its newly won city status like a queen – DARTMOUTH reigns over a population of more than 45,000 – a figure which is growing by the minute.
Covering an area of 15,000 acres, the mushrooming DARTMOUTH is the largest city from a physical point of view anywhere in the Maritimes.
Its inland waters, many of which are protected by public ownership for the enjoyment of future generations, are a source of undying pride and have become Dartmouth’s trademark across Canada.
Our local Tourist Bureau is capable of providing you with detailed information on tourist accommodations in the metropolitan Dartmouth area. Facilities to suit all pocketbooks are available, ranging from the two newly opened motels at grams corner to our mid-city Belmont Hotel. For the homier atmosphere, the facilities of Hawthorne house, near the lakes, is the answer.
Two fine shopping areas, providing an inviting place for Dartmouth visitors to seek out unusual gifts and souvenirs, or another aspect of Canada’s newest city which should not be overlooked. Both the downtown business area and the bustling Dartmouth shopping center have a very fine variety of stores, and between the two can satisfy the most discriminating shoppers.
Fishing and hunting
The Eastern shores of Nova Scotia have long been noted for their excellent fishing and hunting areas. For saltwater fishing in the immediate area of Dartmouth, we find Rich catches of pollock and mackerel, while other varieties quite often hooked include haddock, hake, halibut and cod. Deep sea fishing tours for tuna are also available by appointment in the Dartmouth area. More information may be obtained from the local tourist bureau. As for freshwater fishing, we find that the Atlantic salmon, speckled and Brook trout, particularly in the Musquodobit river, which is only about 25 miles from the city limits. Fishing streams extend along the entire East Coast line. The sporty sebago salmon may be fished out of Shubenacadie, Grand Lake – a few miles north of our city. Principal game hunted in Open season within reasonable driving range of Dartmouth – include whitetail or Virginia deer, hair or snowshoe rabbit, black bear, wild or bobcat, red fox and raccoon.
There are five supervised public beaches within the city – one at Birch Cove on Lake Banook, and another at the foot of Lake Banook between our two canoe clubs, the Banook and Micmac A.A.C. On Lake Micmac, the 2nd of Dartmouth’s famous chain of lakes – there is sunrise Beach at the Port Wallace walks part of the old Shubenacadie canal, referred to in the history of Dartmouth. On Maynard’s lake, at the top of Portland street, we have the Kinsman Playgrounds, and a public supervised swimming area. In addition to the freshwater swimming areas, lovely silver sands on the Atlantic is but a 20 mile drive from downtown Dartmouth.
For aesthetic recreation, visitors will enjoy the flowers and view at the Dartmouth Civic Park, located directly behind City Hall, and the Tourist Bureau, or a visit to Sullivan’s Pond on Ochterloney Street and Prince Albert Road.
Dartmouth Natal Day, each year falling on the first Wednesday in August, marks the traditional climax to regatta competitions. If you are in the Province during this period, be sure to help us celebrate.
Represented among the various denominations in our City are Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Presbyterian, Baptist, United, Salvation Army, Mormon, as well as minority groups such as Nazarene, Christian Church, and Jehovah Witness.
Some of our major churches and their pastor or minister include: United (St. James) – Rev. W. Grant MacDonald Anglican (Christ Church) Dr. L.F. Hatfield Baptist (First Dartmouth) Rev. Earl Ward Catholic (St. Peter’s) Msgr. Gerald Murphy
Points of interest – Key to Map
Tourist Bureau unsurpassed harbor view
City hall, Library and Courthouse
Indian burial ground
Quaker built House – 4 Commercial Street
Marine slip – 18th century Nantucket whale factory
Terminal 19th century Shubenacadie canal
Woodsman massacred by Indians – 1749
Mount Amelia – 19th century home of Honorable J.W. Johnson, former Premier of Nova Scotia
Babes in the woods burial plot, Woodlawn cemetery
Sullivan’s pond – on route of Shubenacadie canal – follows 55 mile chain of lakes – connected by locks. See at Lake Banook and Port Wallace.
Starr company plant – long building commenced 1864.
Old Town Hall – erected as mechanics institute, 1846 – Joseph Howe lectured here.
Three old cemeteries – all denominations – contains Graves of early builders of Dartmouth
Bicentennial School 1950 – new high School
Nantucket Drive – from Victoria road to bridge – once used as grazing ground
Arrow points to Albro Lake whose waters flow to Halifax harbor at foot of Jameson Street sailors washed bedding here
Dartmouth Rope Works – no longer manufacturing – commenced in 1868 by Stairs family
Bridge plaza, memorial rink and shopping center, open 1956
Brightwood – enjoy the scenic overlook from Brightwood golf Club area
Silver’s Hill – this elevated area off Prince Albert road provides a commanding view of the Dartmouth lakes
Dartmouth Park – this city park is located adjacent to the Tourist Bureau
Angus L McDonald bridge – spend a few hours on a warm, sunny day on the bridges pedestrian walkway
The Dartmouth ferry – view Dartmouth and Halifax from Halifax harbor
In the narrows off here, occurred the disastrous harbor explosion of 1917, when a munition ship blew to pieces. Honorable Joseph Howe residence at nearby armament Depot site (–between Jamieson and Dawson Streets on the harbor side of Windmill Road) 1863 to 1869
Pleasant Street to Eastern Passage and Silver Sands – enjoy a pleasant drive along the eastern shore of Halifax harbor.
The Ocean Highway – enjoy miles of scenic driving along the cool, wide open Waters of the Atlantic Ocean from coal harbor to Chezzetcook, with fishing villages and miles of Sandy saltwater beaches.
Lake-lined Waverly road – in contrast to the saltwater type scenery, this route takes you along the shores of four beautiful, freshwater lakes on a highway lined with trees.
Our Tourist Bureau receptionists will give you additional information.
For Your Guidance
Following is a list of most of our service clubs and community organizations: Junior chamber of commerce, P.O. Box 71, Dartmouth. Ivan Greek, President Chamber of commerce (E.A. House) Lions Club (Elroy Moser) Kinsman Club (Ray Wambolt) Kiwanis Club (Gary Low) Dartmouth Y’s Men (Gerald Eisner) Rotary Club (Donald Robert) Gyro Club (A. McGinnis)
Private Clubs (Membership not restricted) Brightwood Golf and Country Club, Owls Club, Banook Canoe Club, Mic Mac Club.
This guide to places of interest in historic Dartmouth has been prepared for you by the Dartmouth Chamber of Commerce and the Junior Chamber of Commerce.
We hope you have enjoyed your visit to Dartmouth. If there are any features you particularly enjoyed, or criticisms you may have to offer us, we would welcome hearing from you. Please write to the Dartmouth Tourist Bureau, Dartmouth.
“Just a few years before its demolition. This historic building was erected in 1793 without additions [addition to the right was made by J.P. Mott & Company]. It was used as a barracks for French prisoners until September 1805. In John P. Mott’s time soap was made there. It was built into a bank of clay on property that originally contained a variety of slopes and hillocks.
The extensive bulldozing at Hazelhurst during 1946, completely obliterated its landmarks. The site of this 18th century prison is thought to be on the spot where stands the new residence at 59 Newcastle Street extension.
The view is looking eastwards towards the heights of Johnstone Avenue. In the skyline, one inch to the right of the roof, the tower of Blink Bonnie House rises out of a forest which until then was almost privative. Mount Amelia is at left. Mr. Harry Piers, late Curator of the Provincial museum, is seated in the middle of the group at left…”
“As enemy ships captured off the coast were usually brought to this port, their crews were quartered at Melville Island, or at [this] old prison …, or they were put on parole in private homes at Preston where they often worked for their keep….
The prison … seems to have had a section for hospital cases, and quite likely a surrounding enclosure where the interns could enjoy recreational activities.
[Prisoners sometimes attempted to escape] as a notice in one of the issues of the Royal Gazette during July 1805 showed …. One result of this getaway was that the next issue of slop-clowing for Dartmouth and Melville Island camps, had the initials “P.O.W.” prominently marked in red print on the back of the jackets, on the thigh of trousers and on the breast of shirts. Inside their shoes was the word “PRISONER”.”
St. Peter’s Church seen at upper middle, Christ Church at middle, Victoria Road Baptist church is seen a block behind between it and its hall, Grace United Church is seen at middle bottom, (what I believe is the) First Baptist church a block closer on Ochterloney, Post Office at middle right.
St. James Church at five corners seen here, Starr Manufacturing to its left, the old Hawthorne School at middle right.
Bus depot at far left, Dartmouth Ferry Terminal, Nova Scotia Power Dartmouth Division at middle left, Stern’s corner at middle right.
“The [Mi’kmaq], first called by the French Souriqu’ois, held possession of Nova Scotia and the adjacent isles, and were early known as the active allies of the French. Marquis de la RocheIn 1598, the Marquis de la Roche, a French nobleman, received from the King of France a commission for founding a French colony in … Read more
This map encompasses the bottom of Old Ferry Road once known as “Green Lane”, near Newcastle Street and Hazelhurst Street today. The (once massive) willow trees seen here are noted elsewhere. See Also: “Survey of Ferry-House Lot belonging to J.P. Mott Esq.”, 1863 (1849). https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=799
The Bridge at bottom left crosses the Mill Stream to downtown Dartmouth, St. James Church is now found at the corner adjacent at “Lot 5”. On the left, the road “To Preston” is now Prince Albert Road (Skate Factory, being Starr Manufacturing, noted at top left) while the “Road to Cole Harbour”, now Portland Street … Read more