“Commander of the Tallahassee… was J. Taylor Wood, a nephew of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In after years Captain Wood resided at Halifax. See his grave at Camp Hill cemetery. He died in 1904. In a bay around the bend from Imperoyal, American naval aircraft were based during World War I. Among men there was Admiral Richard E. Byrd of Antarctic fame. …Nova Scotia Hospital. Site chosen in 1856 by Miss Dorothy Dix, American philanthropist interested in mental diseases. Near rural Woodlawn… there came in 1815, a young Scottish schoolmaster named James Gordon Bennett. He afterwards founded the New York Herald. At Preston, Sir John Wentworth, Governor of Nova Scotia had his summer estate. A native of Wolfboro, N.H., he had been governor of New Hampshire before the Revolution. …St. Matthews’s United Church… is a continuation of those who sent up a Dissenter’s Meeting House near 184 Hollis Street at …

A pocket guide book of historic Halifax, Nova Scotia, from the Citadel Read More…

Crown Land Grants are an invaluable historical resource, and you can learn a lot about how Dartmouth developed by following the patterns from the subdivision of these tracts. https://novascotia.ca/natr/land/grantmap.asp?fbclid=IwAR0mjbyLGcHoUf7YIgk06mXbjKQyqdT6SHjtKTp5SNSRkVrXRpeN2dE6uxs The map itself is a 1940s era base-map and so you’ll see the original configuration of many once rural now suburban roads. Beyond the Land Grant Map Index, individual grants also have records of their own, and sometimes maps to go along with them. Included here is a map from Seth Coleman in 1790 – who was Clerk of the Dartmouth Meeting of Friends (The Quaker Fellowship). He owned the land that today stretches from Ochterloney Street to Church Street along the Dartmouth shore. This area was once littered with shipyards and later served as the terminus for one of our early ferries.

1870 map of Dartmouth superimposed on 2013

From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin: Marine Street was Point Street. South Street was Boggs Street. Portland Street was Front Street, Princess Charlotte Street and Hartshorne Street. At the lower Canal bridge, Portland Street followed the route of the present Prince Albert Road, and continued north to the Town boundary at Carters Pond Queen Street was Quarrell St., and appears to be unchanged from its location of 1750. Ochterloney Street was “the road from Skerry’s Inn”. Park Avenue was Stairs Street. On early plans, the hillside near Edward Street, is marked “north range”. Commercial Street was Rockingham St., and Water St. Prince Street was Prince Edward Street. Edward Street from Queen St., to Park Avenue was Prince Edward St., but the block between Ochterloney and Queen was long known as Chapel Lane. King Street is King William St., on some plans. Wentworth Street was Fourth Street., Tremain …

Dartmouth Street Names of Olde Read More…