From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:
This sketch shows part of Admiral Saunders’ fleet on which General Wolfe sailed for the siege of Quebec. Many of these warships came here first from England, then sailed in a convoy to the St. Lawrence River via Louisbourg.
Men on fatigue duty are carrying firewood down a slope. At least there are large boulders still on the beach. Tree stumps in the foreground indicate, even in those years, the timberland of that section was a convenient source of supply for vessels anchored along this side of the harbor, where there was an abundance of fuel and fresh water.
No doubt many of Wolfe’s men had been here with Admiral Boscawen’s Louisbourg fleet in the previous year (1758). Private diaries of that time prove that it was the custom to anchor on the Dartmouth side.
Farther along in these pages, see the diary of Nathaniel Knap for May 25, 1758, where he mentions the transports as being “a gunshot from the shore.” This sketch was made by Richard Short of the Royal Navy. Only buildings shown are the blockhouse and saw mill. New Lawrencetown road seen at Old Ferry shore.
NORTH WOODSIDE SHORE IN MAY 1759, This was also sketched by Richard Short of the Royal Navy. The inscription states that it represents “the Town and Harbor of Halifax in 1759, as they appear from the opposite shore called Dartmouth.” on the hill near the foot of the present Stephen St., which is 200 yards south of the Department of Transport (see below)