The Opposite Shore Called Dartmouth


At least one distinct record from the year of 1759 survives:

“Mrs. Mary Clark, whose house and garden stood at the southeast corner of the present Portland and King Streets, advised Secretary Richard Bulkeley that her “three lots have been improved, cleared and fenced-in twice but all the improvements, fences, etc., have been taken away and burnt by the Army and Navy”.

Part of the Town & Harbour of Halifax in Nova Scotia, Looking down George Street to the Opposite Shore Called Dartmouth (1759, Mason, James, 1710-c.1783)