Old Court House

From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:

At left is shown the red-bricked Court House fronting George Street where the Magistrates long administered the affairs of Halifax and of the whole County. After Halifax was incorporated in 1841, both City and County business was transacted there until the County Court House was erected about 1860. Then it housed the civic offices and jail until the present City Hall was opened in 1890. The 82-year old Court House was demolished in 1892.

The building seen in middle, still stands at George and Water St. At right is shown the City Market House on the Customs House location. The stalls fronted Water Street, and were not much used. This is a Saturday morning sidewalk market scene of July 1886, taken by Dr. Sinclair from the corner of Cheapside and Bedford Row looking northeast.