From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:
This 1847 bride and groom are Mr. and Mrs. George Connor, who lived on Portland Street a century ago, and where George Connor died in 1868. His widow, who became Mrs. Charles Powell, died as recent as 1910, aged 89. See the gravestone just east of the red granite monument of James Simmonds in Christ Church cemetery.
The name is sometimes spelled Connors or Conner. The Connor boat-building shop still stands at the top of McAdam’s lane at 41 Portland Street. It was afterwards used as a barn and since converted to a garage. Patrick Connor owned the houses east and west of the lane. In addition, the family later acquired large areas on both sides of Maynard’s Lake. Connor Street is now in that vicinity. Some of the new Lakefront Apartment houses ailso stand on the former Connor possessions.
The late Harold G. Connor, grandson of the above couple, and for many years President of Maritime-National Fish Company, was of the opinion that his people were descended from John Connor, our first ferryman. The assumption is that Patrick Connor was a grandson of John, but absence of baptismal and marriage records makes this difficult to establish with certainty.
The photograph shown above is among the private papers and pictures of the family, in the present possession of Harold P. Connor, Halifax, a son of Harold G. Connor.