From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:
These pictures were taken from the foot of King Street. Top shows the ruins of Hartshorne and Tremaine’s gristmill, which stood there nearly 90 years. The front was of brick. The masonry walls to the left indicate the dimensions of the structure. It was two and one-half storeys high, and was once the most extensive flour mill in the Province.
Northeast of main mill is Glendenning’s field. Double house on extreme left is 209 Portland Street. Across the street, the vacant Hamilton field stretched to their house just over the mill, now the spot of the Molasses Factory. Adam McKay built “Stoneyhurst” at 50 Summit Street. The cottages on skyline to the northeast are at the top of Sunnybrae Avenue. Lawlor’s old farm at right. The wooden bridge, which looks new, was not likely built until after the Canal Company had ceased operations, in 1870.
The wharf is at the foot of Canal Street and was built by John N. McElmon. Later on, dozens of vessels discharged corn there for Matheson’s Mill. “Sunnyside” is seen between the masts of small schooner. Harvey house on right. Until recent winters, this part of Mill Cove was often frozen for skating and tin-can hockey. On summer days, Young’s dock at extreme right seethed with splashing boys, swimming in nature’s garb.
Here we see the Mumford Machine Shop at Canal bridge, and tin Rolling Mill with its four heating-fumaces. Both were amalgamated with the Starr Company at the time. Site of 1749 sawmill is about south end of Rolling Mill. Stream has been much filled with slag. Logs of Bentley and Flemming show they furnished spars for international champion schooner “Bluenose”. The tow-path of old Canal is on left. At its extremity once stood the electric light plant. Until 1905, the Town stone-crusher operated near Mumford building at right.