An Act to amend Chapter 62 of the Revised Statutes, “of Fires and Fire Wards,” so far as regards the town of Dartmouth.
(Passed the 10th day of April, A.D. 1880.)
1. Exemptions of Dartmouth firemen,
2. Time of service, how computed.
3. List to be made up annually.
4. Town Clerk to furnish certificates.
5. Exemption of widow from taxation.
Be it enacted by the Governor, Council and Assembly as follows:
Exemptions of Dartmouth firemen:
1. All persons who have actually served as firemen in the Dartmouth Engine Company in the town of Dartmouth for the period of twelve years, or who shall hereafter have served as such for the period of twelve years, shall be exempt from the poll tax of two dollars provided to be paid by male residents of the town of Dartmouth by section 7 of Chapter 40 of the Acts of 1877, entitled, “ An Act to amend the Act, entitled, ‘An Act to incorporate the town of Dartmouth,’” and shall be exempted from serving on juries and in the office of constable ; and the sum of two dollars shall be deducted annually from the rates to be levied on all persons who have served or shall hereafter have served as aforesaid for such period of twelve years, in lieu of their exemption from statute labor, and these exemptions and deductions shall extend and be applicable to every person who shall have obtained a certificate of such service from the captain or lieutenant of the company in which he is or has been enrolled.
Time of service, how computed:
2. In reckoning the said period of twelve years, the time actually served by such persons previous to the passing of this Act shall be taken into account.
List to be made up annually:
3. On or before the last Tuesday in April in each and every year, the captain or commanding officer of the Dartmouth Engine Company shall prepare, or cause to be prepared, an alphabetical list of the members of the said company, and of all persons who have served as such for the period of twelve years, and who have obtained a certificate of such service as in section 1 of this Act provided, and such list shall indicate the ward in which such persons are resident, and shall be countersigned by the secretary or clerk of the company, who shall verify the list by affidavit as being correct, and shall hand the same into the office of the Town Clerk of Dartmouth on or before the last Tuesday of April in each and every year.
Town clerk to furnish certificates:
4. The Town Clerk shall, on the application of any person whose name is contained and set down in such list, give a certificate to such person, stating that the name is contained and stands upon the list so returned to the office of the Town Clerk, and the certificate shall state the ward in which such person is resident, as set out in such list, and the holder of every such certificate shall be eligible to vote at the elections for Warden and Councillor in the ward stated in such certificate, and the production of such certificate shall decide his eligibility to vote at such election.
Exemption of widow from taxation:
5.The widow of any deceased member of the said company shall be exempted from taxation in the said town of Dartmouth on real and personal property to the value of five hundred dollars, provided it be proved to the satisfaction of the Council of the said town or of the committee thereof appointed with reference to assessments, that at the time of the death of such member he had served the full term of twelve years of active service in said company by this Act fixed.
“To amend, as to Fires and Firewards, so far as regards the town of Dartmouth”, 1880 c26