From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin: The Court of Quarter Sessions was abolished in 1879, and the administration of rural affairs was taken over by a County Council which first convened in January 1880. James L. Griffin, of Preston Road* was the first elected representative for District 30, and John G. Bissett was elected in District 31. The first telephones in Dartmouth were installed between 1879-1880 at the Ropeworks and at Mott’s Factory. The wires were attached to telegraph poles from Halifax through Bedford and Waverley. From there to Dartmouth it is thought that new polon …

1880 More…

Tagged with: ,