From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin: The site of John Cleverdon’s copper mine-pit is just a few yards to the right of the intersecting pathways shown in this photograph. A white birch tree on the level area there will locate the spot.The summer house on Fairy Hill is at the right of the top. Wooden Park School stood on the high ground beyond the glacial boulders at top centre. New Park School is on the skyline. 

Tagged with:

From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin: This picture from Dartmouth Common was taken in the late 1890s. Symonds’ Foundry, was formerly that of James Greig. The Gorham house to the left, fronted Church Street. In that residence, Mayor W. S. Symonds convened the first Town Council meeting in May, 1873. See plaque at CNR Station nearby. Opposite Gorham’s is the boat-shop of E. F. Williams. The walls of the old tobacco factory can be seen west of the small pitch-roof cottage. The corner-field this way from the cottage was then the swampy home of pollywogs and …

Dartmouth Commons, 1890s More…

Tagged with: , ,

From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin: When the new House met in February 1841, Joseph Howe was chosen as Speaker. That appointment brought a bit of political prestige to our side of the harbor, because Dartmouth was the largest center in Mr. Howe’s constituency. An Act incorporating the City of Halifax was passed by the Legislature that session. Of more local interest, however, was an Act for regulating Dartmouth Common. This was the “new town-plot” … As the trustees of the Common were all dead by 1841, there was no one in authority to prevent the …

1841 More…

Tagged with: , , , ,