Local Government in Nova Scotia

“Prior to 1888 eight towns were incorporated. These were Dartmouth, (1873), Pictou (1874), New Glasgow (1875), Windsor (1878), North Sydney (1885), Sydney (1885), and Kentville (1886), each of which was incorporated by special Act.”

“The Towns Incorporation Act of Nova Scotia was passed in 1888, revised in 1895, and embodied in the consolidation of 1900 and the revised statutes of 1954. It requires a majority vote of the ratepayers of the town in support of incorporation before it can be granted. It also requires a certain population within a specified area-in 1954 a population of over 1500 within an area of not more than 640 acres was required for any new incorporation. A mayor and not less than six councilors are elected for each town. The mayor and councilors generally hold office for two years; but one-half of the council usually retires each year. The mayor and the councilors are eligible for re-election. The council has power to assess, collect, and appropriate all sums of money required by the town for erecting, acquiring, improving and furnishing buildings for public schools, fire department, police office, lockups, town hall or other town purposes, streets, sewers, water, town courts, police, support of the poor, salaries, and other town purposes. It appoints town officers, excepting the stipendiary magistrate.”

Fergusson, Bruce. “Local Government in Nova Scotia” Institute of Public Affairs, Dalhousie University. 1961

https://dalspace.library.dal.ca/bitstream/handle/10222/11024/FergussonLocalGovNS.pdf