Halifax From Above the Rectory, Dartmouth

I believe this view would be from somewhere near the top of Silver’s Road today, the rectory having been located a few hundred feet down Hawthorne Street from the corner of what is now Prince Albert Road. A close-up view of the peninsula that contained the Nantucket Whaling enterprise, that is now Kings Wharf, is seen below.

“Halifax From Above the Rectory, Dartmouth”, Petley, Robert. 1835. https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/home/record?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=2838573

Shubenacadie Canal: Near Sullivan’s Pond, Dartmouth

This picture appears to be taken near the inclined plane (the bank seen at right), between Ochterloney at left and Prince Albert Road off screen at right. The circular dam can be seen ahead, so this picture is taken further back from Sullivan’s Pond in comparison to this photo.

At far left you can see the entrance to Crichton Avenue as it winds around the pond.

Crichton Avenue at Ochterloney

In behind you can see the Brae as well as “Lakeside”, which later became ‘‘Beechmount Apartments”

“The Brae” at left, “Lakeside” at right.

“Shubenacadie Canal: Near Sullivan’s Pond, Dartmouth”, https://archives.novascotia.ca/photocollection/archives/?ID=9127

Circular dam foot of Sullivan’s Pond, route of Shubenacadie Canal near Dartmouth

“Lakeside”, later ‘‘Beechmount Apartments” and now 84 Crichton Avenue, seen directly ahead behind the circular dam, which, especially in reference to this photo from Findlay’s Pond, helps triangulate the location of this photo to somewhere near the bottom of Maple Street. I believe the Cenotaph at Sullivan’s Pond Park would be located near the middle of the photo today.

Lakeside“, later Beechmount apartments.

“Circular dam foot of Sullivan’s Pond, route of Shubenacadie Canal near Dartmouth”, https://archives.novascotia.ca/photocollection/archives/?ID=9122

Sullivan’s Pond (from the banks of Findlay’s Pond), Dartmouth

This photo appears to be looking north, the opposite direction of this other photo of Sullivan’s Pond and Findlay’s Pond, but more than 20 years later on Oct 24th, 1890.

The large three story house in the center of the photo framed by two trees at the edge of Findlay’s pond is 84 Crichton Avenue today (Lakeside), the house to its left at further distance is likely the Crichton Manor house (The Brae), the houses on the ridge to the left are on Thistle Street, or perhaps it’s Rose.

I didn’t see it at first glance, but the caisson in Sullivan’s Pond helped with orientation.

A general idea of what the view looks like today:

“Shubenacadie Canal: Sullivan’s Pond, Dartmouth”, Oct 24, 1890. https://archives.novascotia.ca/photocollection/archives/?ID=9135

Dartmouth, Looking south towards mouth of harbour

“From the old Crichton Manor house called “the Brae” (No. 20 Cleveland Crescent is the site). Looking south towards the mouth of the harbour over part of the 50 acre Crichton estate.”

“Gate at middle left is now the corner Hawthorne Street and Prince Albert Road.”

“Gate at middle left”

“No. 1 arrow: Road called Lake Road, Canal St, and recently Prince Albert Road. Gate near 1 arrow is entrance to Christ Church rectory. (p. 74 Mrs. Lawson’s History).

[From “History of the townships of Dartmouth, Preston and Lawrencetown, Halifax county, N.S“, Mary Jane Katzman (Mrs. William Lawson), p74:

The house is pleasantly situated in a thick grove of native trees. It was retained as a rectory during the incumbency of several clergymen; but being rather far from immediate parish work, it was sold to Col. Sinclair, a retired army officer, who with his family lived there for several years.]

The house was later occupied by L.P. Fairbanks, Esq., according to the editor.

Continue your eye easterly from the gate and you are on the present Hawthorne Street. Now come this way to the cottage and you have Hawthorne Street west. The cottage stood on the west side of Crichton Ave opposite the end of Hawthorne Street and a little to the north. Once occupied by Adam Laidlaw ice merchant (p. 121 Lawson)

[From “History of the townships of Dartmouth, Preston and Lawrencetown, Halifax county, N.S“, Mary Jane Katzman (Mrs. William Lawson), p121:

In 1843, Adam Laidlaw, the old and well-known driver of the stage-coach between Windsor and Halifax, commenced the cutting and storing of ice on a much larger scale, and from that time made the industry his only business. As the supply increased, the demand grew more and more. His son, Peter Laidlaw, followed in the same line, and continued the trade until 1870.]

Arrow no. 2 fence borders Crichton Ave. Continue with you eye past Laidlaw’s and follow down west side Sullivan’s Pond to meet Ochterloney Street.”

“Gate is now the corner of Hawthorne Street and Prince Albert Road. Canal Route from Lake.”

“Arrow no.1 again: Whitish fence a few feet south of gate hides Findlay Cottage. (It still stands at 100 Hawthorne Street). Next house south is old William Walker property once occupied by Misses Herbert; the famous literary family (See the Olive Branch); they taught private school there. Later Capt. Mytius (?), Danish, lived there. Went sealing every winter. He in the 1870s kept a seal in the Findlay’s Pond just south. Col. Montagu died there 1889. (Lawson p. 240)

[From “History of the townships of Dartmouth, Preston and Lawrencetown, Halifax county, N.S“, Mary Jane Katzman (Mrs. William Lawson), p240:

(Col. George Montagu) had been in Halifax many years before with his regiment, and he was well known and much liked by all who were acquainted with him. He was connected to the aristocracy of England, his grand-uncle being the Duke of Manchester. He lived at Lake Loon with his family for more than thirty years, improving the property and enjoying its quiet retreat after his years of military service. At last his great age induced him to remove to Dartmouth, where he would be nearer medical help. He died in a house adjoining Findlay’s Pond, near the First Lake, on 10th January, 1889, in the ninety-first year of his age. His youngest son, Gore Montagu, is the present owner of the property at Lake Loon.]

Findlay’s Pond one of first to freeze for December skating. Filled in as a dump about 1911. Elliot Street then constructed.

Now imagine Prince Albert Road and the circular dam not yet constructed. Tradition says that Sullivan’s was then a narrow river, part of which flowed westerly in the hollow near Crichton Ave. across Ochterloney and across Portland near Victoria Road base to the sea. The other branch, or division, according to some, swerved to the right at southeast corner Findlay’s Pond crossing Eaton Ave. to the hollow or depression through Pleasant Street forming “Bowes Pond” in rear of no 31 Prince Albert Road, but main stream keeping more to the west crossing Portland Street at the head of Maitland Street as described on reverse side. The other account is that Sullivan’s stream flowed to the left near the present upper Canal bridge. The rafts and scows were hauled up from the harbour over an inclined plane from Lower Canal Bridge (or vice versa on return). Then the paddle steamer towed them through locks. The lock whose gate held back the southern channel, which you see is still there. Logs, lumber, bricks, ice were exported.”

“From left: Nova Scotia hospital, (completed) 1857 or 58. Johnston’s pasture extends to shore. White beach part of Sandy Cove. Railway not constructed until 1885. Evergreen, Judge James residence, 1867. Smokestack, Chebucto Marine Railway (Shipyards).”

Report by John P. Martin, Dartmouth:

“In March 1948 I showed this picture to several old Dartmouth residents and elicited what information is annotated. Note particularly the absence of the Starr Skate Factory. Mrs’ Lawson’s History of Dartmouth says the works were commenced in 1864 by John Starr and John Forbes. William Coates, son of the elder William Coates (grandfather of William Coates Barrett) says that his father came to the Starr factory as a “plater” in the ’60s, and that the first skate factory was a small building near the upper Canal bridge. The small pitch roof structure which you see in this picture may be the one meant. But I think that it is the shed wherein was housed the gear for hauling the scows up over the inclined plane. Note what looks like a large wheel to the right of the building.”

“Large wheel” to the right of the small pitched roof structure.

“Note sort of a level ramp leading towards Sullivan’s Pond. If so this picture was taken some time in the 60s. I cannot find as yet, any definite date for the Starr Factory erection. It must have been after 1867.”

Evergreen at 26 Newcastle Street

“Mrs. H.D. Creighton states definitely that Judge James residence (now 26 Newcastle Street) was built in 1867. She is a near relative and was born in 1859. So the picture is Dartmouth in 1867 or after.

[More from Judge James, his opinion delivered in Queen v. Town Council of Dartmouth: https://cityofdartmouth.ca/queen-v-town-council-of-dartmouth/#JudgeJames]

Ochterloney Street then crossed the stream was about 30 yards south of the present bridge. The level ground on the east side of the present stream marks the old highway. Look now at the picture and trace its route to join the present Ochterloney Street, a little to the east of the foot of Crichton Ave where there was another bridge over the gully. Mr. Walter Elliot (born 1850) often crossed it as did many others.”

No sign of St. James’ steeple

“There is no sign of St. James Church steeple in this picture. As it was erected in 1870 it proves that this was photographed before 1870 and by the Judge James date it was after 1867.

Ronald Findlay 98 Hawthorne Street has a copy of this (So have I) Joseph Findlay, his father, said that the picture was taken by Mr. Emil Vossnack, father of Mrs. J.W. Viditio.

The high building just south of the pitched roof shed which is silhouetted against the Dartmouth Cove is thought to be the Old Grist Mill first erected in 1792 by Hartshorne and Tremaine… see Mrs. Lawson’s history, page 62 foot note).”

[From “History of the townships of Dartmouth, Preston and Lawrencetown, Halifax county, N.S“, Mary Jane Katzman (Mrs. William Lawson), p62:

Dr. Akins in an unsigned note…says, that “the village in 1820 contained at least sixty houses, if not more.” Mr. Lawrence Hartshorne and Mr. Johnathon Tremaine were at that time carrying on the manufacture of flour. Their grist-mill – a very large building – was situated in Dartmouth Cove, on the east side of the river flowing from the First Lake. When the canal was being constructed, a long race was built to convenience the mill. About ten or twelve years after this, the mill ceased to be used, and it was subsequently destroyed by fire. The foundation of the building may still be seen, and the old store stands on the shore of the Cove, where the water from the Dartmouth Lakes flows into the sea. At a ball given by the governor and Mrs. Wentworth on December 20th, 1792, the supper was embellished by several ornaments, among which was a representation of Messrs. Hartshorne and Tremaine’s new flour mill.]

Old Grist Mill

“The mill was burned about 18(??). It was to the south or south west of the Woodlawn new dairy, about 20 yards. The smokestack of the Marine Railway (shipyards) is just to the right.”

7 Newcastle Street, once located at the top of the hill.

“Look now at the Judge James house (Evergreen). The high house west of James’ house on your right was then at the corner where Newcastle Street turns at the top. It was occupied then by Mrs. Joplan, a widow. Taught or ran a ladies school in Halifax. Later occupied by William S Stirling, Manager at Union Bank at Halifax. Later the house was moved down the hill where it is now occupied at 7 Newcastle Street by John. L. Harrison.”

Findlay Pond at far left, depression of Maitland Street at middle right

“Down the slope to the west side of Maitland Street where you notice the depression was the route of the water from Findlay’s Pond to the Cove. Look again at Sullivan’s Pond and imagine it before the circular dam was erected and before Prince Albert Road was built as a causeway. Old folks say that it was not a pond then but a narrow river. One branch flowed down the present hollow near Crichton Ave across Ochterloney, down behind Greenvale to the sea. The other swerved to the left, then to the right crossing Eaton Avenue hollow down across Pleasant Street through that hollow area near 211 Portland Street, crossing to form quite a stream entering the Cove at the Molasses factory. Hence the pond there where we skated for years. That swampy area, before it was filled in by the Town dump, was called “the Mussquash”. This was to be the route of the Canal. See old newspapers.”

119 Prince Albert Road, then and now.
This house on the bluff south of Findlay’s Pond could be 20 Thompson Street, though since it appears to be at the crest of the hill points to what was 16 Eaton Avenue (and is now 30 Thompson Street). It would’ve looked quite different before the addition at its back.

See Also: A photo looking from the other direction from 1890.

“Dartmouth, Looking south towards mouth of harbour”, >1867, <1870. https://archives.novascotia.ca/photocollection/archives/?ID=5310&Page=201742606

From Private Property to Public Resource: The Emergence of Administrative Control of Water in Nova Scotia

This is a fascinating essay, there must have been implications as it relates to Dartmouth even before it became the City of Lakes. It was expropriation on a broad scale, which encompassed every water body in the province except for small rivulets or brooks unsuitable for milling, mechanical, or power purposes. Dartmouth’s lakes, once “protected … Read more

Halifax from Citadel Hill, looking Northeast…with Dartmouth in the background

Dartmouth waterfront, ferry at bottom right.

Lake Banook can be seen behind the town. Dartmouth Common seen at far left, St. Peters spire seen at center left, St. James Church at center right, five corners today. A sliver of Dartmouth cove is visible in behind at far right.

“Halifax from Citadel Hill, looking Northeast from Duke to Cogswell with Dartmouth in the background”, 1880s (?) https://archives.novascotia.ca/notman/archives/?ID=254

Map of halifax and Dartmouth 1887

There’s a few Dartmouth references included here: (187) L. Sterns & Son, dry goods, carpets, floor oil cloths, etc., Water St., Dartmouth, (205) Hospital for Insane, Dartmouth (206) Dartmouth Town Hall, (207) Exhibition building, Dartmouth, (218) Public School, Dartmouth.

Wharves noted include Chebucto Marine Railway Co with repairing slips south of Boggs Street, J. Cammel and Lawler south of Portland Street at Water Street, Dartmouth Steam Ferry Co at Portland, Waddell and Walker between Ochterloney and North, and Symonds at Church Street.

“Map of Halifax and Dartmouth 1887”, https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=1058&Page=202012414

Map and Directory of Information Halifax and Dartmouth and Vicinity, Nova Scotia

No hint of a beltway or a rotary here, but several subdivision plans for the Woodlawn and Westphal sections, Crichton Park (now “Mic Mac Village”), as well as Manor Park. Shearwater Airport clearly played a more important role at this point as a “city” airport, connected by Airport Road running along the west side of Morris Lake from Cole Harbor Road. “Breakheart hill” is noted along with a number of communities including Shearwater, Imperoyal, Woodside, Woodlawn, Westphal, Port Wallis, Albro Lake and Tufts Cove.

Some “bold claims” (propaganda), also included with this map, the facts about Canada section asserts “Canada has complete self-government and independence”. 🤔

“Map and Directory of Information Halifax and Dartmouth and Vicinity, Nova Scotia”, Mapco. 1956. https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=1673&Page=202012450

Map of Halifax & Dartmouth Royal Bank

Great period map showing the different communities in the general vicinity ⁠— Woodside, Woodlawn, Port Wallace, Tufts Cove.

“The Royal Bank was founded in Halifax in 1869 by seven prominent Halifax merchants” isn’t the kind of thing you’d hear from “RBC” these days, that’s for sure, among other things.

“Map of Halifax & Dartmouth Royal Bank”, Royal Bank. 1960. https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=1718&Page=202012458

Map of Halifax, Dartmouth and Vicinity

Planning for the beltway is underway in this 1962 map, as with several subdivisions.

Planning for the rotary is underway too with what looks to be an interchange with Woodland Avenue, close to the design that ended up carrying the day.

A look at the broader vicinity, the City of Halifax’s boundaries still limited to the peninsula at this time.

“Map of Halifax, Dartmouth and Vicinity”, 1962. Mapco. https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=1740&Page=202012470

Dartmouth City of Lakes….Welcomes you!

Dartmouth —

A city of many faces, is best known for its lakes – 23 of them.

Dartmouth was incorporated as a town back in 1873 — and until 1961 was the oldest incorporated town in Nova Scotia and, for a time, the largest in Canada.

Today DARTMOUTH is Canada’s newest city – a community which is noted for its vision and aggressiveness – a sparkplug for Nova Scotia’s resurgence in this decade.

Now wearing its newly won city status like a queen – DARTMOUTH reigns over a population of more than 45,000 – a figure which is growing by the minute.

Covering an area of 15,000 acres, the mushrooming DARTMOUTH is the largest city from a physical point of view anywhere in the Maritimes.

Its inland waters, many of which are protected by public ownership for the enjoyment of future generations, are a source of undying pride and have become Dartmouth’s trademark across Canada.


Our local Tourist Bureau is capable of providing you with detailed information on tourist accommodations in the metropolitan Dartmouth area. Facilities to suit all pocketbooks are available, ranging from the two newly opened motels at Graham’s Corner to our mid-city Belmont Hotel. For the homier atmosphere, the facilities of Hawthorne House, near the lakes, is the answer.

Shopping areas

Two fine shopping areas, providing an inviting place for Dartmouth visitors to seek out unusual gifts and souvenirs, or another aspect of Canada’s newest city which should not be overlooked. Both the downtown business area and the bustling Dartmouth shopping center have a very fine variety of stores, and between the two can satisfy the most discriminating shoppers.

Fishing and hunting

The Eastern shores of Nova Scotia have long been noted for their excellent fishing and hunting areas. For saltwater fishing in the immediate area of Dartmouth, we find Rich catches of pollock and mackerel, while other varieties quite often hooked include haddock, hake, halibut and cod. Deep sea fishing tours for tuna are also available by appointment in the Dartmouth area. More information may be obtained from the local tourist bureau. As for freshwater fishing, we find that the Atlantic salmon, speckled and Brook trout, particularly in the Musquodobit river, which is only about 25 miles from the city limits. Fishing streams extend along the entire East Coast line. The sporty sebago salmon may be fished out of Shubenacadie, Grand Lake – a few miles north of our city. Principal game hunted in Open season within reasonable driving range of Dartmouth – include whitetail or Virginia deer, hair or snowshoe rabbit, black bear, wild or bobcat, red fox and raccoon.

Recreational highlights

There are five supervised public beaches within the city – one at Birch Cove on Lake Banook, and another at the foot of Lake Banook between our two canoe clubs, the Banook and Micmac A.A.C.
On Lake Micmac, the 2nd of Dartmouth’s famous chain of lakes – there is sunrise Beach at the Port Wallace walks part of the old Shubenacadie canal, referred to in the history of Dartmouth. On Maynard’s lake, at the top of Portland street, we have the Kinsman Playgrounds, and a public supervised swimming area. In addition to the freshwater swimming areas, lovely silver sands on the Atlantic is but a 20 mile drive from downtown Dartmouth.

For aesthetic recreation, visitors will enjoy the flowers and view at the Dartmouth Civic Park, located directly behind City Hall, and the Tourist Bureau, or a visit to Sullivan’s Pond on Ochterloney Street and Prince Albert Road.

Natal Day

Dartmouth Natal Day, each year falling on the first Wednesday in August, marks the traditional climax to regatta competitions. If you are in the Province during this period, be sure to help us celebrate.


Represented among the various denominations in our City are Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Presbyterian, Baptist, United, Salvation Army, Mormon, as well as minority groups such as Nazarene, Christian Church, and Jehovah Witness.

Some of our major churches and their pastor or minister include:
United (St. James) – Rev. W. Grant MacDonald
Anglican (Christ Church) Dr. L.F. Hatfield
Baptist (First Dartmouth) Rev. Earl Ward
Catholic (St. Peter’s) Msgr. Gerald Murphy

Points of interest – Key to Map
  1. Tourist Bureau unsurpassed harbor view
  2. City hall, Library and Courthouse
  3. [Mi’kmaq] burial ground
  4. Quaker built House – 4 Commercial Street
  5. Marine slip – 18th century Nantucket whale factory
  6. Terminal 19th century Shubenacadie canal
  7. Woodsman massacred by [Mi’kmaq] – 1749
  8. Mount Amelia – 19th century home of Honorable J.W. Johnson, former Premier of Nova Scotia
  9. Babes in the woods burial plot, Woodlawn cemetery
  10. Sullivan’s pond – on route of Shubenacadie canal – follows 55 mile chain of lakes – connected by locks. See at Lake Banook and Port Wallace.
  11. Starr company plant – long building commenced 1864.
  12. Old Town Hall – erected as mechanics institute, 1846 – Joseph Howe lectured here.
  13. Three old cemeteries – all denominations – contains Graves of early builders of Dartmouth
  14. Bicentennial School 1950 – new high School
  15. Nantucket Drive – from Victoria road to bridge – once used as grazing ground
  16. Arrow points to Albro Lake whose waters flow to Halifax harbor at foot of Jameson Street sailors washed bedding here
  17. Dartmouth Rope Works – no longer manufacturing – commenced in 1868 by Stairs family
  18. Bridge plaza, memorial rink and shopping center, open 1956
  19. Brightwood – enjoy the scenic overlook from Brightwood golf Club area
  20. Silver’s Hill – this elevated area off Prince Albert road provides a commanding view of the Dartmouth lakes
  21. Dartmouth Park – this city park is located adjacent to the Tourist Bureau
  22. Angus L McDonald bridge – spend a few hours on a warm, sunny day on the bridges pedestrian walkway
  23. The Dartmouth ferry – view Dartmouth and Halifax from Halifax harbor
  24. In the narrows off here, occurred the disastrous harbor explosion of 1917, when a munition ship blew to pieces. Honorable Joseph Howe residence at nearby armament Depot site (–between Jamieson and Dawson Streets on the harbor side of Windmill Road) 1863 to 1869

Scenic drives

Pleasant Street to Eastern Passage and Silver Sands – enjoy a pleasant drive along the eastern shore of Halifax harbor.

The Ocean Highway – enjoy miles of scenic driving along the cool, wide open Waters of the Atlantic Ocean from coal harbor to Chezzetcook, with fishing villages and miles of Sandy saltwater beaches.

Lake-lined Waverly road – in contrast to the saltwater type scenery, this route takes you along the shores of four beautiful, freshwater lakes on a highway lined with trees.

Our Tourist Bureau receptionists will give you additional information.

For Your Guidance

Following is a list of most of our service clubs and community organizations:
Junior chamber of commerce, P.O. Box 71, Dartmouth. Ivan Greek, President
Chamber of commerce (E.A. House)
Lions Club (Elroy Moser)
Kinsman Club (Ray Wambolt)
Kiwanis Club (Gary Low)
Dartmouth Y’s Men (Gerald Eisner)
Rotary Club (Donald Robert)
Gyro Club (A. McGinnis)

Private Clubs (Membership not restricted)
Brightwood Golf and Country Club, Owls Club, Banook Canoe Club, Mic Mac Club.

This guide to places of interest in historic Dartmouth has been prepared for you by the Dartmouth Chamber of Commerce and the Junior Chamber of Commerce.

We hope you have enjoyed your visit to Dartmouth. If there are any features you particularly enjoyed, or criticisms you may have to offer us, we would welcome hearing from you. Please write to the Dartmouth Tourist Bureau, Dartmouth.

“Dartmouth, City of Lakes”. Dartmouth Chamber of Commerce, Junior Chamber of Commerce. 1963. https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/archives/?ID=1746&Page=202013017

Page 2 of 68
1 2 3 4 5 68