From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin:
In 1916 more local boys enlisted with the 85th Highlanders, the 64th, the 112th and 219th Battalions. One platoon of the last mentioned composed exclusively of Dartmouthians and those of the suburbs, used the old wooden Rink for drill purposes. In February, St. James Church was packed with 85th members at a special Sunday service. Wounded men from the seat of war kept returning home and were accorded a warm welcome by the Returned Soldiers local committee. Many were badly gassed.
Farmers from the eastern sections protested to the City Council about the location of the new market building. They stated that it would be a hardship on those who were accustomed to leave their teams in Dartmouth. Now these small traders would be obliged to carry their produce up the steep Halifax hills.
The Dartmouth Land Company advertised a 180-lot subdivision at Crichton Park Annex, which was “bound to be a profitable investment now that a bridge at the Narrows was assured.” St. Peter’s congregation purchased the former Dustan house and land at “Eastwood”. The new Post Office was taken over from the Public Works Department. James Renner was appointed caretaker.
The Imperial Oil Company acquired an extensive tract of land near Woodside and made preparations to erect a million dollar plant. Real Estate in the vicinity was in big demand. Every available property was bonded. A large 3-masted schooner was launched at Williams’ Shipyard. Near Oland’s Brewery the French Cable Company constructed a new wharf and warehouse.
A half-holiday was declared in mid-September when all Dartmouth organizations united in holding a monster Fair on the Common field in aid of the British Seamen’s Relief Fund. Over $2,000 was realized. A. C. Johnston was Chairman. James Burchell was Secretary.
Daylight Saving Time was adopted that summer. Some 15 automobile owners took out $8 taxi licenses and operated at the cab-stand in spare time.
The 1916 necrology list (other than war casualties) included Mrs. J. Lester Griffin 94, Cornelius Herman 88, Mrs. C. A. Creighton 87, Deacon Charles Smith (colored) 80, Steve Williams (truckman), Joshua Short, Mrs. Henry Findlay, Mrs. Jol Carter, Mrs. William Patterson and Mrs. James Settle.