From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:
In January of 1903 Captain J. Taylor Wood of Halifax, lectured before the Dartmouth Literary Society on his experiences while in command of the “Tallahassee” during the American Civil War.
An Act to incorporate the Banook Canoe Club Limited we passed by the Legislature in April. The capital stock was $3,000, an the incorporators were Arthur Weston, Robert E. Finn, Kenneth I Forbes, W. H. Sterns, jr., and J. P. L. Stewart.
At Ottawa in May, James D. McKenna of Dartmouth, enthralled everyone in the darkened House of Commons by singing a beautiful love-song from the press-gallery after an electric-light failure had interrupted regular proceedings.
In July 1903, young people under the leadership of James Buchell arranged a monster fair called “Casazo” on the Common field. Nearly $600 was realized to improve that playground. As a holiday had been proclaimed for the event, no further effort was made to hold a Natal Day celebration.
At a plebiscite in August, the question of borrowing $60,000 for extension of the water and sewerage system to the north-end, was defeated by a vote of 56 to 53. Some residents of that section voted against the project. The public supply of water furnished by the pipe at Fairbanks and Best Streets, may have influenced residents in the neighborhood of Black Rock.
This Black Rock area was then somewhat distinct and separate from the clusters of Ropework houses to the northeast. Along the upper side of Windmill Road from School Street to Dawson Street, stretched the scraggy growth of undeveloped Common, and the vacant fields of David Falconer at Lyle Street. On the opposite side, the only dwelling between Lyle and Jamieson Streets, was the old “Joe Howe house” at the foot of Dawson Street. (See photo).
Many of the taxpayers in the far north-end did not as yet want water and sewerage expenses, because they had their own pumps and wells. In addition, there was an unfailing supply of wash-water flowing down to the harbour from Albro Lake.
A Manual Training class under H. W. Hewitt was instituted in Central School building that autumn. An item in the local paper stated that an occasional automobile was to be seen on the ferry. The “Dartmouth Patriot” moved down the hill to a low building which then stood on the location of the present waiting-room at the ferry. The Dominion Molasses Company acquired a part of the Hamilton field. The name of Toney Street was changed to Beresford Avenue. Paul Street became Bolton Terrace.