From The Story of Dartmouth, by Dr. John P. Martin:
By mid-January of 1865 the new ferry “Chebucto” was ready for launching. Customary preparations were made and the town school children invited to be present at the ceremony. But they all arrived too late. Ex-Ferry Superintendent Charles Pearce once told me the story. The latter’s grandfather, Abraham Pearce, and his assistants, were working below decks preparatory to the launching, and their hammering against the joists and sides caused such a jarring that the boat started to slide and could not be stopped. She actually launched herself. Mr. Pearce further stated that all the one-laned boats had side-beamed engines, and that the one from the “Boxer” was transferred to the “Chebucto”.
The “Boxer” evidently did not give satisfaction as a ferry for she was taken off the service and later converted into a tugboat. At this time a stagecoach came over from Halifax and travelled to Tangier thrice a week, and to Sheet Harbor once a week. Adam McKay moved his boiler works from Freshwater at Halifax to the Dartmouth location shown in the photo page 49. Stoves made at the foundry of W. S. Symonds were on display at the Dublin Exhibition. Dartmouth built a new lockup that year, and obtained authority to appropriate all police fines to pay for its construction. The Magistrates were Nathaniel Russell, Patrick Fuller and George Shiels. Town Constable was Richard Bishop. Town Clerk was Donald McLean. The office of the Clerk was in his home on Portland Street near Prince. It was probably a part time position.
Early in 1865 Joseph Howe contributed a series of newspaper articles against Confederation which he entitled “The Botheration Scheme”. At Detroit in July he won a great triumph by his masterly oration in favor of continuing Reciprocity with the United States. No doubt the material for both these topics was prepared and written out in the quietude of his home at “Fairfield”.
In September, Richard Hartshorne died at Halifax, and was buried from his father’s residence at “Poplar Hill”. A fortnight later, the venerable old gentleman himself passed away in his 80th year. He had been County Treasurer since 1838 and also became the first City Treasurer when Halifax was incorporated in 1841. Mr. Hartshorne died in office. He was held in such high esteem for his integrity and devotion to duty that the City Council arranged for a tablet to be purchased and placed inside Christ Church whereon was inscrolled a worthy tribute to Lawrence Hartshorne from grateful Halifax. (This mural remained there until destroyed by the Great Explosion of 1917. For the inscription on the plaque, consult Canon Vernon’s Centennial History of Christ Church.)