From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:
New Year’s Day of 1861 must have been crisp and clear, for a Halifax newspaper reported next evening that, “thousand of males and females were skating on Dartmouth Lakes.” The Steam Boat
Company were now issuing tickets with the price printed in cents instead of sterling, indicating that our present system of exchange was coming into vogue. The first dog taxes were issued in Dartmouth district that year, on the recommendation of the Grand Jury. Dogs were becoming too vicious and too numerous. Sheep were being destroyed
The inclined planes of the Shubenacadie Canal were completed, and the small steamer “Avery” commenced towing scow-loads over the route. Gold was discovered on Charles P. Allen’s “Waverley” estate in 1861, and another lead was located by James Skerry on Laidlaw’s farm at the junction of the present No. 2 and No. 18 highways, since known as the “barrel quartz” mines.
At Dartmouth, James E. Lawlor purchased from the heirs of John Skerry the block of property on Portland Street from “LaMor’s corner” to Prince St. At Windsor, Private Isaac Publicover of the Dartmouth Engineers made the second highest score in the Provincial Rifle Association shooting matches that autumn. He was only one point behind the winner. There were 31 contestants.