The year 1759 brought more activity to Dartmouth with the arrival of the large fleet bound for Quebec. Drawings such as these, were sketched for the eyes of London officialdom to see just how British Government money was being spent hereabouts. Hence in order to emphasize the Blockhouse, the Sawmill and the military roads of Dartmouth, the artist had to leave out trees and houses, and even move the ships nearer to Halifax.
Both in 1758 and in 1759, sheltered Mill Cove must have been used to moor war transports, and their crews evidently employed the most convenient method of securing firewood.
This is inferred from a complaint of Mrs. Mary Clark whose house and garden, according to the list on page 79, stood at the southeast corner of the present Portland and King Streets. In 1759 she advised Secretary Richard Bulkeley that her “three lots have been improved, cleared and fenced-in twice but all the improvements, fences, etc., have been taken away and burnt by the Army and Navy”.
In that same summer of 1759 a band of Mi’kmaq from Cornwallis’ Island surprised a small outpost stationed in a bay below the Kastern Battery, near the present Seaplane base. Five soldiers were killed. The Mi’kmaq had paddled over in the dead of night, and were thus able to circumvent the defensive cannon pointed towards the Passage. The account of this conflict by W Hewitt says that the bay was long afterwards known by the name of “Scalp Cove”. And it was later in this year that Halley’s Comet re-appeared.