1754

From The Story of Dartmouth, by John P. Martin:

During 1754, gangs of soldiers are busily engaged cutting a road from Dartmouth to the new settlement at Lawrencetown. (This is probably the beginnings of Old Ferry Road from Parker’s wharf over the Cameron Street hill to Cole Harbor, by a route which no doubt avoided the outlet at Maynard’s Lake.)

Of all the fortifications built to protect the harbor of Halifax in early times, one of the first was constructed as the Eastern Battery. Engineer John Brewse was in charge, and he had seven heavy cannon mounted there by October of 1754. Military plans of this period show a road which seems to extend from Black Point to the Battery at Imperoyal.