The Annex

Remember that time Dartmouthians got so fed up with the substandard ferry service offered by Haligonians, they charted their own course, and organized a committee that started a rebel ferry service? Deamalgamate Dartmouth does.

A service that became so popular that the Haligonian run service was abandoned in favor of the people’s service. This group of rebels even organized a ferry boat buying expedition to the United States.

“The Spirit of Dartmouth”, that’s what they should’ve named illegitimate HRM’s new ferryboat 😉

(Pictured, Dartmouth’s Yankee sourced “The Annex” ferry, alongside a friend, the USS New Orleans – also, the location of Campbells Wharf, now near the Peace Pavillion of the Ferry Terminal Park)

“The struggle between the citizens and the Steamboat Company lasted about three months. In April 1890, legislation was obtained to organize the Dartmouth Ferry Commission. This body took over the liabilities of the Citizens’ Ferry Committee.
Delegates were next sent to the United States to negotiate for the purchase of a secondhand ferryboat named the “Annex”. Meantime the small steamer “Arcadia” kept running in opposition to the Company, transporting people for two cents, and later for one cent.

Nearly everyone boycotted the regular ferry. By midsummer the Steamboat Company felt obliged to capitulate. Then all the property of the 75-year- old Halifax and Dartmouth Steam Ferry Company was acquired by the new Dartmouth Ferry Commission. The makeshift landing and ticket booth at Campbell’s wharf were abandoned.” -J. P. Martin, The Story of Dartmouth